Monday, June 29, 2009

Blu-Ray Review: Terminator 2: Skynet Edition




Terminator 2: Judgement Day is one of movie industries most successful movies of all time and set the bar not just for special effects, but also set the bar for sequels in general.  Now Terminator 2 had a very early Blu-Ray release which I did not buy because the transfer did not have great quality and there were not that many bonus features.  Because of this, many knew that there had to be another T2 Blu-Ray sometime in the not distant future.  Not long after, the release of the Terminator 2: Skynet Edition was released.  But was it the Blu-Ray that all of us have been waiting for?

I went to Best Buy about a week ago and purchased the Skynet Edition on sale for $14.  It was a steal because with traditional Blu-Rays around the $29-$35 range, I considered it a great buy when your getting a great movie like that on blu-ray for a DVD price.  In the end I was not disappointed.  They did a good job at restoring the footage, the sound is incredible like all blu-rays, and it comes packed with a lot of bonus features.  My favorite feature is that you can watch the movie in 3-ways.  You can watch the original 1993 Theater Release, the 1996 Special Edition Release, or a newer special edition that adds another 2 minutes but you need a code to watch it (I dont have the code but didnt bother watching it either).  

In the end, The movie still lives up to all of it's awesomeness.  Terminator 2 has been one of my favorite movies for a lot of my life.  I loved it when I was a little kid and still love it now.  The Blu-Ray is great and is defiantly worth the addition to anybody's collection.  The only problem I had with the Blu-Ray is the quality of the movie it self.  The video itself is very good but it does not live up to the quality that Blu-Ray can offer.  Because of how old the movie is and how bad the original source material is, I fear that we will never get better quality then what we see in this version.  I doubt that this is the version of Terminator 2 that ends all but it is a really good buy if you can get it for a good price.  

RATING: 8.5 Out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment